Advice and resources to support you
Below are a variety of resources aimed at supporting students, parents and teachers on their journey in dance.
ADVICE AND INSPIRATION
- Hear from Matthew Lawrence, RAD’s Australian Male Dance Ambassador about his experience of being the only male dancer in a sea of pink. Read here.
- Boys in Ballet, by Matthew Lawrence, RAD’s Australian Male Dance Ambassador.
- You are not alone is the message of this article. Dad's need to get on board says Matthew Lawrence here
- Winner of the Project B Dance Challenge in the UK, James Bamford, shares his perspective around the stigma surrounding boys in dance, watch this YouTube video.
- A country teenager who took up dancing on the advice of his singing teacher has stunned some of the biggest names in ballet. Read more.
- Famous male stars with a background in ballet Read this BBC article highlighting male stars who have a background in ballet, including Rio Ferdinand and Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- Why are so many male dance students still bullied today?
Read this article from Dance Magazine.
- How to cope if you’re being bullied, by Dance Magazine.
- Ditch the Label is an international anti-bullying charity. Visit their website to view articles and support guides here. Or visit their Support Community where you can register for help from a trained mentor.
- Advice from Matthew Lawrence, RAD’s Australian Male Dance Ambassador, on teaching boys. Read here.
- Preventing Bullying online CPD course
This online programme aims to help you understand, recognise and prevent bullying behaviour. Looking at evidence from research, you will cover who may be affected, the effects of bullying and how to prevent bullying in organisations, as well as what you can do as an individual to play your part. This online activity is worth 4 hours of Time-Valued CPD and can be completed in your own time. For more information or to book, click here.
If you have questions about the RAD’s Project B initiative, contact us.
- ‘I have been doing Project B with my student and he loves the fun choreography combined with the technical elements of ballet. Wonderful idea, and thank you for making him feel special!’Teacher of Project B participant
- 'Thankful for wonderful programmes like RAD Project B for providing boys with a chance to meet amazing role models and to see a bigger picture and feel a part of that' Creenagh Fay on Social Media
'Thank you for a wonderful two days. My grandson participated and has not stopped talking about it. It has opened new doors for him to do more ballet & tap.Thank you to the tutors too....how fortunate the boys were to have four such talented & fun teachers at the helm. Jack will be lining up next year I'm sure!' Grandparent of a Boys DANCE 18 student