Cookies on this website
This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. By continuing, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • Share this page

Frequently asked questions

There is a limit of 26 students per class.

For more than eight students, a tailor-made Personalised Programme can be arranged. The minimum duration of lessons is one hour and students can have unlimited lessons depending on faculty and studio availability.

Personalised Programmes can span more than one day and can include more than one lesson per day. 

Run over either five consecutive days, two or five Sundays, either at RAD headquarters or regionally.

Students participate in a syllabus class followed by a pointe work class for females and a virtuosity class for males. The classes are designed for intensive study of the syllabus in preparation for exams.

Who can attend: Students who are preparing for Vocational Graded exams. Please note that students must have a thorough knowledge of the syllabus in order to benefit from these courses.

Duration:        5-day course - 2 ¾ hour class per day

                        2-day course - 2 hour class per day

PRS stands for ‘Performing Right Society’, an organisation which collects money on behalf of composers and publishers.

To play music in public, you need a PRS licence, unless all the music that you play is out of copyright, or not licensed by the PRS. This is such an unlikely situation as to be almost impossible: even ‘Happy Birthday’ is in copyright, and requires a PRS licence when sung in public. 

We recommend that teachers obtain a ‘blanket’ licence from PRS to cover their music use for all classes, including RAD syllabus.

Although some RAD syllabus music is out of copyright, or is owned by the RAD, there are increasingly parts of the syllabus or related resources which are the copyright of third parties, and require a licence. The RAD itself has a PRS licence for the same reason.

No. The only circumstances under which PRS (and PPL) will agree to a waiver of charges is for those classes where all the music used is out of copyright or the property of an Association who are not PRS publisher members.

It is in the nature of a blanket licence to cover you for the use of one piece, or a hundred. 

We now consider it in the best interests of our members to advise them to get a blanket music licence which will cover them for all potential music use.

The musical content of the RAD syllabus and teachers’ use of music are constantly changing, and the best way to ensure compliance and freedom of choice is to obtain a blanket licence.

If you never use recorded music, you won’t need a PPL licence.

If in some of your classes you use RAD recordings exclusively (an RAD recording will have ‘(P) RAD Enterprises Ltd’ on it on the disc label) then you may discount those classes on your PPL form, because the RAD is not a member and they do not collect on our behalf.

Note: PPL do not collect money on behalf of composers, only performers and record labels. You will still need a PRS licence to cover the rights of composers of underlying works.

A ProDub Licence is a joint licence issued by PPL and PRS for Music, which for an annual fee gives you the right to make copies of music on to blank CDs, a laptop, an MP3 player and so on for use in classes.

Although you can transfer your CDs to an iPod or similar device for your personal use, as soon as the use of the music becomes commercial, you must pay a licence fee. If you use an iPod or similar digital music storage device in your class, you will need a ProDub licence.

The notion of ‘educational’ or ‘fair’ use of music only applies in non-commercial educational contexts, and only when the music is being used in order to teach about music.

Dance teaching in the private sector is viewed as a commercial activity, for which music licences are required.

Buying a CD only entitles you to use it for your own private purposes.

Playing it in public in a dance class is a public commercial use of the music and hence incurs a licence fee. This is the meaning of the copyright statements on the CDs that you buy, which state that ‘unauthorized public performance’ is prohibited.